Annons

I Only Meant to Play Ragdoll Archers for Five Minutes

1
My first arrow in Ragdoll archers went straight into the ground about two feet in front of me. My second one somehow hit my own foot. I laughed, which is not usually how I react to losing a round, and that pretty much sums up why I'm still playing this thing a week later.

I found it on ragdollarchersonline.io on a slow afternoon, expecting a throwaway browser game I'd close in a couple of minutes. That didn't happen.

So what is it, actually?
Ragdoll Archers is a physics-based archery game where you control a floppy stickman archer. You hold the mouse button to aim and set your power, release to fire, and hit space to jump. That's genuinely all there is to learn. Single Player throws enemies at you one after another, and the only goal is to stay alive as long as you can.

The catch is the ragdoll physics. Your archer doesn't stand still like a normal character. He wobbles, leans, stumbles when something hits him, and occasionally flops over for reasons I still don't fully understand. The enemies do the same. Shoot one in the leg and he might spin around, fall off a ledge, or go flying in a way that makes the whole fight look like a cartoon.

The first few rounds were rough
I honestly didn't expect to be bad at this. Aiming looks easy until you realize gravity is doing a lot of work on your arrows and your own guy is swaying while you line up the shot. I kept overshooting. Then I'd undershoot to compensate. Meanwhile some stickman archer across the screen was calmly putting arrows into my chest.

Health matters more than I assumed at first. Stamina too. I noticed that spamming shots and jumping around nonstop left me gasping with nothing left when I actually needed to move. Apples show up now and then, and grabbing one restores health or stamina, which has saved me more times than I'd like to admit. I also missed a few apples because I was too busy aiming, which is its own lesson.

Skulls and the "just one more round" problem
Every enemy you take down gives you skulls, and skulls are what you spend on upgrades. This is the part that got me. Each round I'd die thinking, well, if I had a little more health, or a slightly better bow, I'd have survived that. So I'd upgrade and go again. And again.

As you progress, different arrow types start becoming available, and that changes how fights feel. Once I had more than one option, I ended up switching depending on who was in front of me instead of just firing the same shot over and over.

What surprised me most
The unpredictability. In most games, unpredictability is annoying. Here it's the point. I've had enemies defeat themselves by stumbling into the wrong spot. I've had perfectly aimed shots ruined because my archer leaned at the last second. Somehow none of it feels unfair, it just feels like chaos you're learning to work with.

Also, there's PvP and a 2 Player co-op mode. I tried the two-player mode with a friend on the same keyboard, and it turns out watching someone else's ragdoll get launched across the screen is even funnier than when it happens to you.

A few things I wish I'd known earlier
Take an extra half second before releasing. Rushing shots in this online game almost never works out. Keep an eye on your stamina bar before you jump, not after. Don't ignore apples. And spend your skulls early instead of hoarding them, because the enemies get noticeably tougher and a slightly better archer makes a real difference.

Give it a try
If you've got a few minutes and a browser, go play Ragdoll archers . Start with Single Player, miss a few shots, laugh at the physics, and see how long you last. Then grab a friend for co-op. Just don't plan anything right after, because "five minutes" is not a real number in this game.